Friday, May 4, 2012

Guitar Strummin'

 I started learning to play the guitar when I was about seven. My Great-Grandpa taught me my first chords and I would strum along with him to a lot of Christian songs that he played at church every Sunday. Ever since then, the guitar has been one of my favorite pass times. I find that it is a great stress reliever for me. When I have a bad day I can just go to my room and play for hours and hours until my fingers are sore, then I am always in a great mood. When I was 14 I was in my first band. It was a Christian rock band that my youth group put together and we played every Wednesday. We only got to play two other shows outside of youth group. One was after a football game at a different churches “lock-in” and the other was at a concert that our community and the neighboring communities put together with all the youth group bands in the area. When I got into high school, my path strayed from the church and my best friend and I put together a rock band called The Moniteau Outlaws. We were together for a year or so and we got to play at the county fair and open up for some bigger bands.
In high school we had pep band and we played at all the sports games. Some of the music required a guitar part so my band director requested that I learn it and play that part for the shows. It was really fun because not only did we get to play at all the games, but once a year we got to go play at a Mizzou home game. Now I am currently playing every Monday at Martha’s club downtown with an excellent vocalist, Courtney.

No comments:

Post a Comment